Friday, May 2, 2008

We've Got an Ace in the Hole



We've heard washing machines, bouncers and car rides, but our sure-fire method of getting this guy to quiet down is our sling.  It's actually pretty cool.  We have a baby book (by Dr. Sears) that suggests keeping your baby in a sling as often as you can.  It's suggested that this helps with bonding, not to mention a convenient way of keeping both hands free.  Best of all, it knocks him out in 10 seconds flat.  Every time.  Right now I'm the only parent on sling duty because it's not really ideal for Carrie because it puts a strain on her abs, but it's okay, I really enjoy having him close to me.  I'm taking a parenting class at ASU (which I just finished last night) and the books are totally geared towards mothers in pretty much every regard.  Fathers are mentioned pretty much only when discussing their absence, strain from work spilling over into the home life, and custody in divorce.  This was a little off-putting because it made me realize how conditioned society is to consider parenthood a maternal responsibility.  After reading that fathers spend an average of 60 minutes a week interacting with their children, I have become determined to continue to share in the responsibility and joy of parenthood.

No comments: