Sunday, October 19, 2008

This Guy's Changing

The subtle changes that this guy has gone through have a knack for catching me off guard every once in a while. He’s getting heavier; my arms tell me that when we’re walking around. He’s getting longer; the pile of pajamas he doesn’t fit into anymore tells me that. He’s getting more active; the fact that he can’t be on the ground for longer than 30 seconds without flipping himself onto his face and getting all worked up tells me that. But these are developmental measurements. I can process these basically in real time.

The thing that gets me is when I can see glimpses into what this guy is going to be like in the future. I’m not talking about when he’s an adult, that kind of a timeframe, but what the next little while has in store. He’s got a pretty good personality. He happily returns a smile. He’s agreeable to most situations. He’s friendly to everyone we’ve put in his line of sight. All of my indicators point to him being a pretty good guy. I know it’s a little early to tell, and the baby made of pure evil is a rare baby indeed, but I think I’m going to like who this kid turns out to be.


He's losing the newborn look.


He's got a crooked smile in his arsenal. His old man has a crooked smile that's served him well.


He hasn't said his first word yet, not in the intentional communication sense. But if you count the first utterance that fits the shape of a word in the English language, he said "okay" the other day. I think that's an appropriate start for someone who's a mixture of Carrie and myself.

1 comment:

Amanda & Claire said...

aww those smiles are adorable he is already a little heart breaker!!