Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Huggin' It Out

Well, Owen has started biting. That guy has some chompers too, so Carrie and I decided something needed to be done about the situation quickly. We read that when kids start biting, it's a good thing to model loving behavior. That's where the hugs come in. He seems to be picking it up pretty well and he's really sweet about it, but he's still biting when he's frustrated. I think we need to keep up with this because we read that the worst thing you can do with a biter is reciprocate so we're stuck saying "no, buddy, biting hurts." I'm hoping it only feels like banging your head against a wall and that somewhere deep in Owen's baby brain the concept is setting in. Here's how the hugging training went.

Hey Owen, you should hug this bear. To hug you just wrap your arms around it and press yourself against it.


Like this?

Well, yes and no. You don't lay on top of it, you shoud both be upright.


Like this?

Better, but not just its head and maybe squeeze a little less aggressively. Here like this.


Oh, okay, I think I get it. Like this?


Yup, that's just about right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Owen is either a 'quick study', or has possibly tried hugging before. He's very good at it! (lucky little bear)

Love, Greatgrandma M

Anonymous said...

And look at that grin. Yes, yes, hugging is in his genes. And, I'm sorry to say, so is biting, Eddy. Oh, the joys of parenthood. :0) I'm on the laptop, so am posting as Anonymous right now. But it's just me.

Love you guys, Mom / Grandma Bug