Friday, July 11, 2008

Ode To My Maternity Leave

Well it is finally here.  Today is my last day of maternity leave.  I start back to work on Monday full time. I was lucky to have 11 weeks off with this guy.  I kind of have mixed emotions on the subject.  I enjoy my job and find it challenging so I miss that stimulation.  On the other hand Owen and I had a pretty good routine going down and I am going to miss that. Plus there is the whole daycare aspect.  It's weird to imagine being away from him for 9 hours a day.  I already have photos of him framed and ready to be hung in my office so I can stare at his cute mug all day.  Luckily Owen won't be in daycare for the full 9 hours.  With Ed's work schedule he will only have to be there for four hours which makes this transition a little easier. Just a little.

So here it is.  The ode to my maternity leave:

- Note to self: Plan maternity leave around Arizona summer if possible.
Being on maternity leave during the Arizona summer was a little challenging at times since I didn't feel comfortable taking a newborn out in 100 plus heat.  So needless to say we became very familiar with the apartment.  Meaning we never left it.  If you had the pleasure of visiting us, you soon learned that. 

- Thank God for Target.
Did you know 90% of the people visiting Target during the week are moms with their kids? The things you find out when you are on maternity leave.  It worked out though because I had no problem taking a crying baby there and it gave us a nice break from the apartment.

- I. Love. Twin. Peaks.
Why did I not know about this show before?  Ed and I watched all the episodes on-line after Owen went to sleep.  That is the craziest show I have ever seen.  
- I do not love breast pumps.
I won't go into this one  for the male readers out there but man that thing sucks. Literally and figuratively.  (Boligrafo.  Boligrafo. Boligrafo.)

- Miscellaneous inside jokes of Team Wilhelme.
Aaron Neville, clouds, cat spray, saving the "job" for when dad gets home, the 7:00 PM wail, Rick rolled

And finally,

- Mid-Afternoon Siestas.
I will miss those the most.  I managed to time Owen's afternoon nap so he would go down when Ed got home from work.  So Ed, Owen and I would curl up in the bed and take a nap for an hour.  The nap is definitely part of Owen's routine now.  You place him on the bed and he almost immediately curls up into your side and falls asleep.  Ed has promised he will keep that routine going.


Yes.  Monday is going to be hard.  Le sigh. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't be the first one to comment . . . I know. I already comment too many times. But, I want to say that it is SO important, Carrie, that you were home while Owen was so little, AND that Eddy will be with him while he is so young. Owen is completely, absolutely attached to both of you. That attachment completely defies words.

My goal is that he will be completely attached to me, too. . . . . What d'ya think? :0)

Love you guys. And see you soon.

Anonymous said...

It will be hard for you to be away, but you will also start to notice more things about him. Watch and see. He will also appreciate the times you are with him. Oh, and before you ask, no you cannot possibly hug him to much!!!Hang in there. You are doing an awesome job!
love and kisses great aunt Maryann
ps. please give him a cheek squeeze for me!

ErinFournier said...

Good luck Carrie- I'll be honest it was the hardest thing I've had to do!

Rebecca Shirley, LMT said...

Carrie, I agree that this will be hard for you at first. But it will get easier, I promise.

Owen is blessed to have you both as parents. And how wonderful is it that he will only be in childcare for 4hrs. If we were closer, I would offer to watch him for you!

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow!
Hugs,
Becky